Parenting advice can get pretty overwhelming. So, today, we’re going to take it easy. Instead of making life more complicated, let’s simplify things using these parenting tips.
(Bonus: They really work!)
7 Simple Parenting Hacks
1. Timers: Many kids respond better to an alarm than a parent’s voice. Timers are great for setting limits, moving kids from one activity to the next, homework or even chores. Download an app on your phone, buy a visual clock or just use the microwave.
2. Notes: Switch up your strategy by using a note instead of a verbal reminder: “30 minutes of reading before screen time.” Use humor: “Don’t forget me! Love, Your Lunchbox.” Share some encouragement: “Thanks for putting your bike in the garage tonight! <3 Mom”
3. Visual Schedules: Shift the responsibility to remember certain tasks onto your kids. Pre-readers can benefit from a schedule with pictures, older kids can write or create their own. Instead of reminding your kids what else needs to be done, say, “Check your schedule!”
4. Brainstorming Sessions: Kids often have great ideas, if we take the time to stop, listen and consider their point of view. Next time there’s a problem, open it up for discussion and see what solutions your kids have to offer. Write down all ideas, then pick one to try.
5. Change the Environment: Sometimes we can avoid a fight just by making things more or less available. Tired of towels on the floor? Maybe lower hooks would help. Arguing about too many sugary snacks? Limit the amount you buy, and offer healthy alternatives.
6. Humor: Incorporating laughter into your family can be the difference between total meltdown and compliance. Try a silly voice when making a request, use jokes to break the tension, play chase games with younger kids or watch funny movies together as a family.
7. Music: The versatility of music is almost endless: it can be used for calming down, getting people moving, or as a way to bring up a down mood. Create connection through dance parties, singing silly songs or expressing interest in the music your kids like.
Next time you feel overwhelmed by all of the complicated parenting advice, stop and think about how to implement some of these surprisingly simple parenting hacks into your day.
What other simple parenting tips work for you?