Welcome to Imperfect Families!
Hi! Thank you for stopping by. I’m Nicole Schwarz, MA, LMFT, Parent Coach and owner of Imperfect Families.com.
I am a mom to 3 kids, which means I am going through the same struggles you are…sibling rivalry, jealousy, anger, aggression, school challenges, friend drama, power struggles (and more!).
Through these daily battles, my goal is to manage my own triggers, keep myself calm, and keep the relationship with them strong. Of course, even though I read, write and teach positive parenting, I’m still imperfect and some days are definitely more challenging than others!
The posts on this site are an opportunity for me to share bits and pieces of my parenting struggles and successes, along with practical, applicable tips to help you work through similar issues with your own kids!
My parenting philosophy is influenced by the work of others who encourage the use positive/gentle/respectful parenting strategies. (You can find a list of recommended resources here!) Recent brain research has confirmed what some have known all along – treating kids with respect and kindness, connecting with them on an emotional level, and managing our own stress and anger can create positive changes in a child’s brain. The results? Fewer meltdowns, better problem-solving skills, higher emotional intelligence and a (generally) more peaceful home.
My perspective is also influenced by my background as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. I spent 10 years working with children and families in hospitals, homes, community organizations and a private therapy practice. The majority of my therapy work focused on helping grade-school age children manage anxiety, anger, perfectionism and low self-esteem.
Though parent education was always part of my job, I closed my therapy practice in 2014 to focus exclusively on parent coaching. Thanks to webcams (and smartphones!), I’ve had the privilege to work with 100’s of parents around the world.
No one is expecting perfection here. But, if you’re willing to examine your parenting, find encouragement, or try something new, this is the place for you.
If you’re looking for something specific, here is a place to start:
- sibling rivalry
- being a good-enough mom
- making mistakes
Products & Services
Have you ever read a parenting post and then thought, “Yeah but, how do I make this work for my own kids?” Parent Coaching is a one-on-one service that gives you the opportunity to talk about your parenting challenges and get specific advice and solutions.
New to positive parenting? Not sure how to implement it in your home? This e-book will teach you a simple 3-word parenting strategy that works for kids of all ages.
You don’t have time to sit and read a book. This course breaks down positive parenting into daily bite-size chunks sent to your email daily. Learn and implement positive parenting one step at a time.
10 fun facts about me!
- I have 3 daughters. Nope, we’re not going to try for a boy! 🙂
- I’ve been married to my college sweetheart since 2000.
- I have a Master’s Degree in Marriage and Family Therapy.
- I am a Licensed Marital and Family Therapist in the state of Missouri, but I’ve never done marriage therapy, so I call myself a child and family therapist.
- One of my daughters has Celiac Disease, so I’ve spent the last few years trying to create gluten-free baked goods that actually taste good.
- I’m not exactly “athletic,” but I’ve fallen in love with yoga.
- I didn’t meet my life-long best friends until college. We talk every day.
- My husband and I moved to a new state on a whim. Best decision ever!
- I almost delivered my second daughter at home…it was not a planned home birth. A quick ambulance ride to the hospital and she was born!
- I am passionate about positive, respectful parenting. As a Parent Coach, I am able to provide you with personalized support and encouragement through the tough stages and parenting challenges.
Feel free to comment and say hi! (or send me and email: email@example.com)
Thank you for reading!
P.S. Don’t forget to sign up to have posts sent to your inbox! You’ll get a free resource “25 Alternatives to Time-Outs, Grounding & Taking Things Away.”